"New" Enfield

Yakkity Yakkity Yak.

"New" Enfield

Postby cc1085 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 pm

I've been on this forum as a lurker for quite awhile and now it seems I'm going to acquire/inherit (long story) an Enfield 500 Bullet. It was bought new in India maybe 20 or more years ago and ridden back to UK and is now in Ireland still with the same owner. It has been regularly used locally since then though total mileage is still quite small. I know the Indian market models aren't quite as reliable as the export models of similar years. I suddenly need all the advice I can get as I haven't ridden a bike with drum brakes, right foot gears, points ign etc for years
Please help as this was completely unexpected and I'm due to collect it in the next few days and ride it 60+ miles to home.
cc1085

Re: "New" Enfield

Postby Henry V111 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Welcome, riding is easy, you may find gear change a bit different if you are not used to it, but change slow but sure and it works.
Drum brakes can be eithe good, not good, or useless, depends on how they have been set up.

The 350cc is as reliable as it gets for those bikes , just make sure all electrical wiring is well connected and not gone manky with being stored, keep a good battery and away

any problems, there are plenty of gurus both here in Rockahampton and also in Ireland who can help

Henry
Henry V111

Postby cc1085 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Turns out the bike is in excellent condition but I had an unexpected introduction to Enfield ownership. The bike stalled less than a mile from the current owners house. I changed to reserve on petrol but no start. Removed fuel line and presto! no petrol flowing regardless of tap position. Contacted owner and duly arrived and removed tap and retuned to workshop and cleared tap with compressed air. Came back and when refitting the tap acidentally snapped a portion off rendering it useless. Will have to return next week and will let you know how it turns out. Unfortunately for me I have fallen for the Enfield charm and should never have ridden one in the first place. Oh well, maybe I will finally get "Sucker" tattooed across my forehead which I probably should have got years ago.
Thnaks for reply
cc1085

Postby Steve E » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:25 pm

Welcome to our little band of riders.

I got bitten by the RE bug in 2003.
Still riding a RE!!

It is just a different style of riding, more for the pleasure than the speed!
As Bill once told me -"Ride it like you stole it!"
Steve E

Postby cc1085 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:24 pm

All sorted. Drove the bike 60 miles home and it is going great. No problem with anything. A new and a very different experience. Looks like I'll be here awhile.
cc1085

Return to General Chatter